No products in the cart.
The Founders of Cleto Reyes Boxing Gloves
Cleto Reyes Castro was born on April 26th, 1920 in Mexico City, in the midst of the reconstruction period after 10 years of revolutionary struggle. Because of the hard times, his family was facing, Cleto began to work at the age of 12 in a saddlery where baseball gear was manufactured.
In 1936 while he attended elementary school, his huge love for boxing was born as the “Peralvillo Cozumel Arena”, was in front of his school. In 1938, Cleto Reyes participated in an amateur fight, his performance was so outstanding that the public ended up throwing coins into the ring floor; however, the pounding was so hard that he was convinced not to fight again. He chose, instead, to mend the gloves he had used during the fight and this was the beginning of his career in glove manufacture.
Subsequently, his gloves obtained the approval of the local boxing commission (COMBOX DF), and in 1945 the Cleto Reyes gloves were used in a world championship fight for the first time on “La Condesa Arena”, in the fight between the second Mexican Champion, Juan Zurita Vs Ike Williams. This was a very relevant year in Don Cleto’s life since that was the year he decided to become independent, always counting on his wife and children’s support.
In 1965, he had his first commercial representative in Los Angeles, California; and began distributing his products in the most important cities of the United States and some other countries.
In 1970, during a time in which Don Cleto’s health was in delicate conditions, his son Alberto Reyes joined his father’s efforts with a strong entrepreneurial vision. In 1975 his son, decided to register CLETO REYES as a trademark and founded Industria Reyes S.A. de C.V. in 1979.
Nowadays, Cleto Reyes products have a prominent place in the international market and are exported to five different continents with the approval of the main world organizations. The company has received important recognitions such as Mexico’s National Exports Award in 1994 (Granted annually by the Mexican Trade and Industry Department to distinguished Mexican Companies, and many others).
In the beginning, the need, later a great passion for boxing, and finally his dedication to his job were the factors that inspired Don Cleto Reyes Castro to devote his life to boxing.
To be the best supplier of the highest quality boxing gloves and innovative accessories in the whole world.
Provide the boxing world with the best boxing gloves and accessories.
Responsibility, Respect, and Honesty
Cleto Reyes Relevant Events
- 1990 Recognition of the Secretary of Commerce and industrial Promotion as highly exporting business (ALTEX).
- 1991 Recognition of Banco Bital (HSBC) and Mexico’s Export Bank to the diversification of the International Market.
- 1991 Presentation of the INTEREXPORT/card, provided by Bancomext and other leading Institutions, by Mexico´s President.
- 1994 Mexico´s National Exports Award
- 2008 World Boxing Hall of Fame.
It is our great pleasure to inform you that Mr. Alberto Reyes who is the founder and CEO of this company was inducted into the WBHF Expanded Category on November 15, 2008, during their 29th Annual Banquet of Champions Induction Ceremony in California, USA. Mr. Cleto Reyes was honored with the Presidential Award from the WBHF during their 26th Annual Banquet in 2005, his son Alberto Reyes, received the Award.
During this memorable Ceremony, the following personalities were also inducted: Mr. Miguel Díaz, trainer and cutman from Argentina living in Las Vegas; the trainer and promoter Akihiko Honda; and the president of the WBA, Mr. Gilberto Mendoza from Venezuela. In the Boxer Category, Greg Haugen, Marvin Johnson, Lennox Lewis and Pernel Whitaker will be inducted. A Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Bob Arum.
The WBHF´s specific purpose is to establish a Boxing Hall of Fame to educate and inform the general public of the noteworthy professional boxers and of the history and background of professional boxing and boxers. To recognize and honor the great former professional boxers and who have contributed to the history of the sport. To promote amateur sports at local, state and national levels. To award scholastic scholarships to young men and women boxers. To promote safety and healthy participation in amateur boxing. To promote sportsmanship and to generate public interest and the public’s support of amateur boxing.
We thank all our friends, employees, customers and suppliers for their trust and loyalty and we reiterate our commitment to continue to provide the best boxing equipment in the world synonymous with Mexico and to continue to support our beloved sport.
Cleto Reyes Social Responsibility
With 71 years of experience in producing the best worldwide boxing equipment, we have always given our best to:
- Promote leadership and participation of our team in all the company function always respecting human rights.
- Promote good working conditions for a better life quality and development of our team. Maintaining our factories and facilities in the right conditions and following the security and health rules.
- Treating our artisans and employees fairly with respect and values. For the company, our artisans and employees are a part of our day to day growth.
- As a small company, we have the opportunity of helping local community programs and gyms by providing equipment with the goal of helping those in need and encourage kids to practice box to keep them away from the streets.
- Participating in official charity programs by important boxing organizations.
- We value the opinion of our customers, distributors, providers, and employees to make this company better for us and for the world.
Thank you for being part of this great story, enjoy your equipment.